Since I work for a presenter of touring Broadway shows, I’ve seen lots and lots of shows. It’s a privilege that I don’t take for granted. I’m often fond of classifying a show as “in my top ten.”
So, what is my top ten? I’ve never sat down and actually written it out. It’s just been a loose list in my head that changes every so often when I have something to add to it. It’s not really real. It’s just a concept, I suppose.
This post is my attempt to make it real, to make a commitment. What is Amy’s Top Ten? Here goes –
- Les Miserables – I was smitten within minutes of the opening number and nothing will top it. Ever.
- Billy Elliot* – Pure emotional satisfaction.
- Rock of Ages* – My perfect musical.
- Cabaret* – Love every single song and the Emcee is one of my favorite characters ever.
- Once* – Simply stunning.
- Rent – The musical of my Gen X generation.
- Chicago – Sexy ladies and gents, murder and Mr. Cellophane.
- Spring Awakening – Rock ‘n roll and energy and heartbreak.
- In the Heights* – Another emotionally satisfying journey with unbelievably good music.
- Wicked – What else did you think would round out my top ten? It just barely made it and for no other reason than the stupendous end of Act I.
Now there, I’ve written it out. It may change this weekend since I’ll be seeing West Side Story for the first time. But for now, let the list be so on this 4th day of January.
*denotes that I saw the show on Broadway