A long time ago, it became obvious that I was missing out on something big. Several of my friends had read, fallen in love with and talked about obsessively a series of books called “The Black Dagger Brotherhood” by J. R. Ward.
I am admittedly late to the game on most of the big book series (Confession: I didn’t even read Twilight until after I saw the first movie), but I am obsessive once I start a series. When I’m in a good book(s), I will read in the morning over the toaster, I will read in the car in the daycare parking lot, I will read at my desk at work, I will read making dinner and I will read late into the night. I will immerse myself in that world so completely that I will neglect the real one. This is a difficult side effect to cope with having 2 young children. I have to pace myself. Good books have to be spaced out with downtime in between. This lessens the guilt I feel when I’m so often “away” in book land.
I am currently on an extended hiatus from the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, as I devoured 8 books straight from October through Christmas. I was so wholly immersed in this world of vampires, lessors, chosen and sympaths that I barely remember the month of November.
I have 3 more books to go and then there is going to be a new one this spring. These books are the best of guilty pleasure entertaining fun. This book series is pure pulp vampire sex, but there is a unique enough world, and the boys are just tattooed and bad enough, to keep you hooked.
I can’t wait to dive back in with the next book, but I’m pacing myself. Giving myself time until I’m really “needing” the brotherhood back real bad. I have a feeling, it will be very soon.
5 Ways You Know Your Friend is Addicted to the Black Dagger Brotherhood:
- She’s constantly talking about people named Wrath, Zsadist, Rhevenge and Xhex.
- She asks you “What’s doing?” or “You feel me?” when she never did before.
- She is always asking you to help her talk her partner into wearing leathers and shit kickers (aka leather pants and boots).
- She wishers her partner would wear leathers and shit kickers.
- She successfully forces ever other avid reader she knows who is not reading the series to read the series. Like now. Do. It. Now.