Since my legion of readers (Hi, Mom and Jamie!) are not doubt wondering where the latest Average Girl Reviews in 5 Bullets or Less post is, have no fear. It’s right here!
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (not a new release, but still going)
- The movies are better than the books. I liked the book series over all (though I had some issue with the ending), but man, the movies really work.
- Our Katniss (who has helped spark a national love affair with arrows, apparently) finds herself in the arena again, and this time it’s even nastier. But there is more to this Hunger Games than meets the eye and the stage is set for a rebellion. Watch out Snow!
- I was Team Peeta all the way with this one, and even though I knew from the books what happened to Peeta at the end of this story, it was effectively done in the movie.
- I wish this director would go back and re-do the first one. Catching Fire required more brightness and contrast overall, but I thought it was crisper as well. Can a movie be crisper? This one was.
- You know you want to see everything Jennifer Lawrence is in. She is the intelligent ingenue that we’re all in love with. Go J Law!
- A great movie, but it’s a bit of a mind fuck.
- But that’s a good thing. I mean, talk about rich material and ideas to ponder. There is something in this movie, I guarantee, that will touch on some aspect of your life.
- Joaquin Phoenix is amazing. His character is an everyman, despite what you might think from the trailer.
- Amy Adams is equally amazing. Actually, I would say her performance is brilliant. She plays the friend next door. The relationship between her character and Phoenix’s character is the respite from the central relationship of Phoenix’s character with his operating system (named Samantha).
- This is set in a strange future that kinda makes sense. It’s disarming. As disarming as the lovely Samantha seeming as real as if she were a voice on the phone but artificial intelligence nonetheless. Therein lies the rub.